Clinical Associate Professor
- DVM, College of Veterinary Medicine, Shanxi Agricultural University, Taigu, China
- MS, Veterinary Microbiology and Immunology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Northwestern Agricultural University, Yanglin, China
- PhD, Veterinary Virology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
- Postdoc, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (Immunology and Virology)
Office: E129, Veterinary Medicine East
Phone: (573) 882-3427
Laboratory: E131, Veterinary Medicine East
I am a board certified veterinary microbiologist with diverse experience in the pathogenesis and diagnosis of infectious diseases of domestic and wild animals. Currently, I serve as the section head for Serology Section, Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (VMDL), College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri.
Viral Pathogenesis, Emerging & Zoonotic Diseases, Immunological Test Development, and Molecular Diagnostics.
Diagnostic Pathology and Special Species Medicine (VPBio6647), Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri.
- Lifang Yan, Lanny W. Pace, Floyd D. Wilson, Brittany Baughman, and Michael Z. Zhang. Detection failure of bovine viral diarrhea virus 2 by direct fluorescent antibody test on tissue samples from animals with severe clinical disease and fatal outcome. JVDI, in press. 2016.
- Su, J. McKelvey, D. Rollins, M. Zhang, D. Brightsmith, J. Derr, S. Zhang. Cultivable Bacterial Microbiota of Northern Bobwhite (Colinus virginianus): A New Reservoir of Antimicrobial Resistance? PloS One 9(6): e99826, 2014.
- Zhao, M. Zhang, and S. Zhang. Expression, purification and comparative in vitro characterization of avian beta-defensin-2, -6, and -12. Avian Dis. 58(4):541-9, 2014.
- Clavijo A, Nikooienejad A, Shahrokh M, Metz RP, Schwartz S, Gargari EA, Deliberto TJ, Lutman MW, Pedersen K, BazanLR, Koster LG, Jenkins-Moore M, Swenson SL, Zhang M, Beckham B, Johnson CD, Bounpheng M. Identification and analysis of the first 2009 pandemic H1N1 influenza virus from U.S. feral swine. Zoonoses and Public Health 60(5):327-35, 2014.
- Zhang, L. Yan, G. Zhu, M. Holifield, D. Todd, and S. Zhang. Isolation and characterization of Streptococcus troglodytidis sp. nov., from a foot abscess of a chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes).). Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 63(Pt 2):449-53, 2013.
- Zhang, W. Corapi, E. Quist‡, S. Griffin, M. Zhang. Aspergillus versicolor, a New Causative Agent of Canine Disseminated Aspergillosis J Clin Microbiol. 50:187-191, 2012.
- Z. Zhang and S. Zhang. An efficient DNA extraction method for polymerase chain reaction-based detection of Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis in bovine fecal samples. J Vet Diagn Invest. 23:41-48, 2011.
- Yan*, S. Zhang, H. Wan, L. W. Pace, F. Wilson, M. Z. Zhang. Combination of reverse transcription real-time polymerase chain reaction and antigen capture enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of animals persistently infected with Bovine viral diarrhea virus. J Vet Diagn Invest. 23:16-25, 2011.
- Baughman, S. Zhang, L. Jin, L. W. Pace, J. Cooley, L. Yan*, M. Z. Zhang. Diagnosis of deerpox virus infection in a white-tailed deer fawn. J Vet Diagn Invest. 23:965-970, 2011.