The Department of Biomedical Sciences is dedicated to the mission of the University through excellence in teaching, preeminence in scholarship and research, and a commitment to effective leadership in professional service. We recognize that excellence requires diverse and inclusive environments. Discovery and innovation flourishes from the fusion of different perspectives as a diverse scholarly community stimulates scientific innovation and educational excellence. We promote civility and respect for the dignity and potential of each individual, and seek to advance the understanding of diverse perspectives. We value and promote collegial relationships and mutual respect among students, faculty, and staff.
Therefore, we continuously strive to becoming a scholarly community in which all participants feel welcome and are encouraged to contribute, and welcome and respect the perspectives of others. To fulfill this commitment, we, as a department, are dedicated to encouraging the participation of underrepresented groups in our department at all levels.
The Department of Biomedical Sciences aspires to become an environment where diversity and inclusion are fundamental to our identity by:
1. Building an inclusive, unbiased and prejudice-free environment that:
- values, respects, and welcomes all individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
- provides an environment (g., teaching and mentoring practices) for all individuals, including those from underrepresented groups, to excel in their academic and professional development.
2. Providing a community in which all its members (i.e., faculty, staff, and students):
- are expected to respectfully interact with all faculty, staff, students, and the public.
- recognize the importance of having different perspectives, which is fostered by having a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff.
3. Create and maintain a diverse department by recruiting and retaining members of underrepresented groups.